Out of all the fittings, I would say that I find the second one to be the most interesting. Especially when it’s a new dress – you never know what’s going to happen. There’s certainly been occasions where I’ve had this great idea (or so I thought it to be), but once it’s actually made I wonder if the sleep deprivation is getting the better of me and I am indeed turning into a crazy. And then I squint at the mirror a bit as I see myself in the dress and decide that it has to be changed – it’s just not going to work out. It’s one of those things that’s quietly important, and something that I’ve been getting better at as I continue on with this whirlwind job of mine. Sometimes you can’t let yourself get too engulfed in an idea to the point where you become this horse with blinders. See the bigger picture, and allow it to work its magic.
Late night blog posts – sometimes I wonder if I even make sense. Anyways, here’re some second fitting snapshots. Enjoy!
I wish I could have gotten some photos of the work done between the first and second fitting, but I was tucked away in the corners of various coffee shops while studying for my final exams. On the plus side, I finished my last test for a very long time last Friday (hurray!)
A close up of the bodice, and a bit of an extension of my first paragraph. A month ago whilst in an agent’s showroom looking at fabric, I had seen a beautiful silver sequinned material that I knew I just had to have. I imagined a bodice created fully out of it, with a bit of ruching for interest and additional texture. However, when we got the fabric, it was pretty obvious just how abrasive it was. If you’re designing for a mannequin, this wouldn’t be a big deal. However, we’re in the business of designing for people – people who’s skin will go raw if constantly scraped at by little sequins. My mum and I didn’t want the material to go to waste, so we changed the design completely. Abrasion would occur under the arms and along the bodice’s rim, so we knew that the sequins could definitely not go under there. So, we chose to use a high quality lining, expose it, and accent the bodice with the sequin rather than create the whole thing out of it. Funny how things work out sometimes.
A few frames from many. I walked around for ages as my mum figured out how to make the slit work.